Sunday, July 28, 2013

Begin Again by Christy Newton

Begin Again
Print Length: 174 pages
Publisher: Crimson Romance
Publication date: August 5, 2013

Genre: True love, contemporary romance
Edition Language: English

Author Biography


Christy Newton is a hopeless romantic that has a weakness for warm cookies and dark chocolate. She lives in Indiana with her supportive husband and two amazing daughters where they all take turns chasing around their Boston Terrier puppy named Simon.   


Book description


What if one night changed your life forever?

Maisie Scott lost not only her husband and unborn child in a tornado two years ago, she lost her will to live. Keeping busy is the only way she can get by. This small town waitress won't let herself get attached to anyone … until Ryan, the new veterinarian for exotic animals, starts making regular trips to her diner. As hard as she tries not to feel anything, Ryan ignites a spark in her broken heart.

Ryan Tucker craves a happy family of his own more than his Momma’s apple pie. Getting over his fiancĂ©e leaving him six months ago, he moves to Pleasant Valley for a fresh start. When he meets Maisie and notices the sadness in her eyes, he is determined to put a smile on her pretty face.

When another dangerous storm hits, Ryan stays by Maisie's side. She fills the missing piece in his heart, but will Ryan share his secret? Can Maisie move on from the past and learn to begin again?


My review


This novel took me by utter surprise. Unlike other romance novels I  have read, this was a very decent read.This is not a usual romance story. Yes, it is also a romance novel, there is sex but  it is not rushed into or explained very elaborately which I liked and absolutely loved reading it.


Begin Again has Maisie Scott and Ryan Tucker as the main protagonists. He is a 27 year old veterinarian and also a newbie in  Town. He meets 25 year old Maisie on the diner at where she is waitressing  and is immediately attracted to her as he senses something fishy about her because whenever he tries to put a smile upon her face she disappoints him. At some point,  they become friends. He then wants to make this friendship blossom into love and also wants to start a family with her. He can't force her to like him, so he seeks help from his sister, Rose and her sister, Cady(this was new).

All the supporting characters were way too sweet and overly selfless(I was hardly able to believe). Meanwhile, I got a feeling no man in the world can be this perfect , I mean she has so many external flaws, yet he is all over her. I changed my mind in the latter half as I found out , it is his true nature being kind and generous to everyone as a person.


The first half of the novel was a complete knockout and I expected the same thing from the second half. It started off well but somewhere in the middle, I felt like it fizzled out and lost all it's pace except the introduction of the great twist, Ryan's ex-girlfriend into the novel. It was shocking but I thankfully needed it as a break in the otherwise slow paced novel.


Overall, I am so happy it got a happily ever after ending. The final execution was like a fairytale. I had a rattling good experience reading it and in the future, I expect to read more of Christy Newton's novels . If she is planning to write romance novels such as these,  I would like her to write something different and would also like more humor scenes than this novel(a sample below).


Verdict I will definitely recommend to anyone who likes to read light romance novels and wants to look at it with fresh eyes.


Rating 4/5


Excerpt from the novel


The doctor says I can go tomorrow Jacob told Ryan as he turned off the TV.

Ryan pushed his hands in his pockets. "That's great. I hired a caregiver to stay with you. Her name is Stella."

A smile crossed Jacob's lips. "Maybe Stella could take my mind off Kate."


Ryan shrugged. "Stella is a sixty five year old retired nurse. Do you want me to have her give you a sponge bath? "He could barely get out the word "bath" without laughing.


Jacob rolled his eyes. "Great .Thanks,  man".


Buy Links: Amazon US Amazon UK B&N Kobo

Author Links: Facebook  Twitter Website

Note:I received a ARC of the book in exchange for an honest review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment