Followers

Popular Posts

Sunday, September 22, 2013
DiSemblance

Paperback:369 pages
Publication date: August 1st, 2012
Publisher: Create Space
Genre: Science fiction, Young-Adult

Book Description

Jason Tanner’s life has always been different from the ordinary citizen’s. It started when he was an infant and his parents were only teenagers. A computer science prodigy, Lloyd attended MIT but left a pariah in the eyes of the school’s dean—but a computer physics genius in the eyes of his primary investor. Then his theories and ideas created a holographic machine and their world shrunk as contact with the outside world became less and less frequent. A computer prodigy now himself, Jason is about to learn that the world never waits for you if you have the ability to change it: it will come for you.

Detective Bruce Durante has been handed the case of the Comfort Killer, a serial killer so named because he appears to abduct terminally ill patients before returning their corpses to their families in refrigerated coffins. When he picks up the trail, it leads straight to the home of Lloyd Tanner.

Jason has been living life through the world of Lloyd’s invention and wishing he could carry on a relationship with Boston, the beautiful girl next door. When his father is murdered and framed as the Comfort Killer, he is brought back to reality in a hurry. He is forced to destroy all of the planted evidence—and finds he is being targeted as the killer’s new fall guy. But the secrets of his father’s invention run deep and Jason, his brother Isaac,Boston, the Comfort Killer, and Detective Durante hurtle towards one another on a deadly collision course that leaves everyone’s life hanging in the balance.


My review

As far as I remember I haven’t read that many Science fiction novels but I can say I definitely enjoyed reading this one. If this novel was of any other genre I would have said my expectations were somewhat like this. So to be honest, I am glad to look at this novel from a totally different perspective. My only complaint is, this novel is snail paced. Now let me get straight into the story.

Disemblance by Shanae Branham is a beautifully knitted story about a teenage boy named Jason Tanner who is raised by his father Lyold Tanner since his mother died of cancer. His father has warned both his brother and him not to interact with the outside world instead he has created a hologram machine so that they can do the impossible things that ordinary people like us can't even imagine.

The one of the main attractive feature of this machine is that it stores dead people's essence before their death which in turn helps their loved ones feel as if they are alive inside the machine. For instance, whenever Jason and Isaac want to chat with their dead mother they can do so with the help of this machine. Isn't it ironic? I love this kind of story.

There are lots of twists and turns you can expect from the novel. Now someone knows about his father's invention. He wants to steal this machine for evil purposes. This person is formerly called by people as the comfort killer as he kills only terminally ill persons(with an exception of two which makes the cops and detectives break their heads) and gives their family members the comfort they need in the form of cash(lot of cash).

How are Jason and his brother going to survive this person? Whoever wants to help Jason also is targeted by the comfort killer. A budding love blooms between Jason and his neighbor girl Boston. Thanks to him, she too is targeted and kept as captive by this insane person or is she dead? This novel puts you in the edge of your seat. I admired Shanae Brahman's writing skills very, very much.

At one point,   I was wondering why any of this happen to them. They deserved much more in the story at least I wanted them to. All of a sudden, in the next few more chapters, we learn that whatever we learnt, I mean read in the previous chapters are absolutely untrue. The ending was something I did not expect. But overall, I put my heart and mind into reading this extremely incredible novel. Kudos to the author. I can’t wait to read the next sequel in the DiSemblance series.

Rating 4.5/5

Know the author

Shanae Branham

                                                 Goodreads  Facebook Twitter

I am a professional writer with a bachelor’s degree in creative writing and a minor in grammar. I have also attended several years of classes and workshops in screenplay writing at the Los Angeles Screenplay writer’s Expo.

I love suspense thrillers and am a master at plot and character development. I enjoy stories with happy endings. I promise all my readers that when they put one of my books down or walk away from one of my movies, they will be enthused with excitement and joy. This does not mean there will not be some sad parts, because you have to feel the bitter in order to understand the sweet.

I was born and raised in a small town in Idaho. I am the second out of six children. When I was in my early 20’s my mother was killed by a drunk driver. This one incident drastically changed my life. I have always had a passion for reading and writing fiction. Owing to a life long struggle with Dyslexia, early teachers discouraged me from pursuing a career in writing.

As I have spent over twenty years wrestling with my language disabilities–turning them into professional writing skills, God has honed my insatiable passion into an incredible vision.

My Christian upbringing has instilled within me the belief that “…with God nothing shall be impossible” (Luke 1:37). This has sustained me through the hard times. Because of my language disability, I have had to learn the structure of the English language like other people learn math – building block upon building block.

I am grateful for this experience because it developed in me a skill and love for diagramming sentences, which unfortunately is becoming a lost art.

I want my life to be a living testament that with God’s help anyone can achieve their worthwhile dreams. What God requires is the humility to change, a childlike teach-ability to learn, and the patience and persistence to practice and work until their weaknesses are transformed into strengths.

0 comments: